3M Peltor Hearing Protection
The appropriate selection of ear defenders is critical to protect employees, and meet legal safety standards.
There are various working environments that require ear protection, such as construction, engineering, motoring and more. All of these locations pose a serious threat to workers’ hearing, and an equally serious demand for the right personal protective equipment (PPE).
The range of ear defenders available from Protec Direct
Our wide range of ear defenders include helmet-mounted, headband and neck ear muffs. We also stock widely accredited protective hearing brands, including Peltor ear defenders. All Protec Direct hearing protection earmuffs conform to the appropriate British and European legislation requirements.
Ear defenders and the Law
The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005 require employers to eliminate or reduce the associated risks of exposure to loud noise. Regular exposure to noise can lead to extensive, and often permanent, hearing damage. To manage this, the law states that employers have a legal obligation to reduce the noise exposure, and a responsibility to equip employees with personal hearing protection.
To comply with the legal exposure limits, it’s imperative that the noise workers are exposed to, even with the appropriate safety equipment, is not above 87 decibels for daily or weekly exposure.
When providing employees with ear defenders, make sure they are used properly and that any hearing protection safety zones, wherein hearing protection is compulsory, are clearly identified.
How do I choose the correct ear defenders?
When choosing the right ear defenders, you should consider the following:
- The best hearing protection ear muffs are sufficient enough to eliminate the risk of hearing damage, but not so much so that the worker is isolated/can’t hear communication from others. A 3M Peltor WS Headset, for example, has a built-in-level-dependent function, to allow wearers to hear ambient sound, such as conversation, machine sounds and warning signals.
- Consider the role and working environment such as physical activity, comfort and hygiene to select the best safety ear muffs. For example, the 3M Peltor Optime III ear defenders have broad sealing rings in plastic foam for low-contact pressure.
- Compatibility with other protective equipment, such as hard hats, is another important factor. In industries where protective headgear is necessary, such as construction, a helmet-mounted headset is recommended to maximise on-site safety.
Hazards that require ear defenders
Ear defenders should be worn if the noise or sound level of a workplace exceeds 85 decibels. Hearing protectors will reduce the noise exposure level and the risk of hearing loss.
If hearing protection is required, then a complete hearing conservation program should be implemented.
Browse our selection of ear protectors below, and don’t forget to take advantage of our free next day delivery if you spend over £25. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our team.
Helmet Mounted Ear Defenders
Here at Protec Direct, we offer the best quality helmet mounted ear defenders from leading brands such as Peltor and Centurion in order to keep your workforces protected.
Equipping your team with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is essential. Stocking up on PPE for your workforce doesn’t just uphold legal safety requirements, but is also fundamental to securing the safety and well-being of your team.
There’s a wide range of workplaces that require the provision of PPE, from construction sites to airports. Below, you’ll find the best ear protection we offer and how it can both protect workers from injury, and adhere to legal safety requirements.
The range of helmet mounted ear defenders available from Protec Direct
We’re proud to say that all Protec Direct equipment meets the necessary British and European legislation requirements. This means that we can support you, as an employer, with your moral and legal obligations to take care of your team. We only offer high-quality, durable brands such as Scott Safety, Centurion and Peltor 3M helmet mounted ear muffs; for workers that are required to wear a hard hat with ear protection.
Ear protection and the law
As of 2005, the Control of Noise at Work Regulations require that employers supply their staff with sound cancelling ear protection if they’re in an environment with 85 decibels (Db) of daily or weekly exposure. For those of you who may be unsure about the exact sound level of your workspace, you can use the HSE noise exposure calculator to see if you need to invest in hearing protection.
How do I choose the best ear protection?
Before choosing helmet mounted ear protection, it’s important to ensure you’re getting the right care for your team. There are a series of factors to consider, including:
- The ear protection must be able to reduce the noise to below 85Db.
- If the wearer is exposed to particularly extreme levels of noise in close range, they require stronger protection. The Z3IHME Zone 3 Helmet Mounted Earmuffs from Scott Safety can defend wearers from extreme noise level environments; such as when using pneumatic tools, or concrete drilling.
- If it’s necessary that the worker remains aware of their surroundings, and they work in low to medium noise level environments, then Zone 1 Mounted Earmuffs are recommended. This is suitable for DIY workers, or those working in food processing industries, as these earmuffs provide lightweight defence without over protecting.
- If it’s likely the member of staff will have to wear the ear muffs for an extended period of time, then factoring in pressure and comfort is important. In this case, the 3M Peltor Optime Helmet Attachment offers versatile coverage of noise levels, as well as foam-filled sealing rings for maximum comfort and low pressure.
Browse our full range of helmet mounted ear defenders below, and enjoy free next day delivery when you spend £25. For any further queries, don’t hesitate to contact a member of our team.