text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation
  1. Home
  2. Protec Direct PPE Blog
  3. How to apply for Tax Relief on the Cost of Cleaning, Repairing or Replacing Workwear and Uniforms

If you wear a uniform for work, whether that’s just a branded T-shirt or a full set of personal protective clothing, you may be entitled to tax relief on the cost, upkeep and repair.


Tax relief can date back several years and statistics show that around two thirds of all people who wear uniforms for work are entitled to claim this tax relief. However, the bad news is, if you don’t claim, you may lose your entitlement.                                                                                                                                                   



So, here’s a quick guide to see if you are eligible and if so, how do you go about getting the tax relief you are entitled to.


Am I eligible?
In order to qualify for tax relief on your uniform, all of the following must apply:
• You wear a recognisable uniform for work that show’s you have a certain job, including branded work wear and non-branded but job-specific uniforms such as nurses, police officers etc.
• You are required to wear this uniform at work
• You have to purchase, clean, repair or replace items of uniform yourself
• You paid income tax in the year you are claiming for


If all of the above apply to you then you are entitled to apply for uniform tax relief.


However, there are special entitlements for those who have to wear protective clothing, such as gloves, overalls, boots and more. You may not claim for the cost of buying these items (as they should be provided for you by law by your employer) but if you have to maintain or clean them then this is tax deductible. The same applies to any job specific tools you might need for work.


How do I claim?
If this is your first time claiming a tax allowance or the amount that you paid was more than £1,000 then you will need to contact HM Revenue and Customs - Pay As You Earn department either via the appropriate form, a letter or by calling their free helpline 0300 200 3300 to find out more.


You will need to provide information including:
• Employer’s name and details
• Details of occupation and employment history
• Details of equipment, uniform or maintenance
• Details of payment
• Whether you would like a rebate or a cheque


You will then be sent a letter telling you how much are entitled to claim in relief. This process can take up to five weeks to process.


However, if you have claimed before or the amount of your expenses was less than £1,000 then you can claim via phone on 0300 200 3300.


How much will I get?
This, of course, depends on the amount you have paid out in uniform costs and expenses but some people have been known to receive tax relief of as much as £300 or £400. Which is not a bad day’s work for anyone, especially if this was money you did not know you were entitled to.

So, if you think any of the above applies to you, get in touch with HMRC and find out if you are eligible for uniform tax relief.


Latest Blogs

An updated guide by consumer organization Which? looks at how to protect people’s ears. They focus on two main types of ear protection, earplugs and ear defenders.  

27 June 2023

A review submitted by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) has recommended that the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) should compel employers to improve their behaviour in issues of workplace health and safety.  

21 June 2023

Drivers are being urged to consider their footwear choices when behind the wheel, particularly during hot summer days when flip-flops are popular.  

21 June 2023

The Universal Workwear Market Report forecasts that worldwide sales of workwear will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.1% during the next five years.  

19 June 2023