At Protec Direct, we offer a wide range of head protection equipment including safety helmets and bump caps, all of which are CE Approved to the relevant European Standards. All of our head protection can be used in conjunction with face visors and clip-on ear defenders, to maximise your personal protection. We also provide a range of helmet accessories, including chin straps, fleece helmet liners and ID cards, so you can find everything you need in one place.
Browse our range of head protection equipment below, and find exactly what you need to help keep workers safe.
When Is Head Protection Required?
Head protection is compulsory in almost every industry where there is a risk of being injured by falling objects or when working in areas with limited head space.
This could include workers in roles such as:
- Power line maintenance
- Road construction and maintenance
- Railway maintenance work
What Type of Head Protection Is Needed?
In environments where there is a risk of injury from dangers such as falling objects, debris or electric shocks, a hard hat is required for protection. Hard hats are specially designed to feature a gap between the helmet and the head of the person wearing it, which reduces the impact on the head in the event of an accident. Different colours of hard hat are used to help identify people with different roles on a construction site – for more information, see our guide to the hard hat colour code.
If you’re working in an environment where high impact protection is not needed, but workers may still need some protection from bumps or scrapes, you could choose a bump cap, which is a lightweight version of a hard hat designed for lower impact contact.
What Are the Regulations for Head Protection?
Head protection is a very serious matter, and as such there are some regulations and standards that you need to be aware of, including:
- Personal Protection Equipment Regulations (2002) – According to these regulations, employers must provide workers with all necessary PPE equipment free of charge, as well as ensuring that it is properly stored, maintained and fit for purpose. Employees must also be trained on how to use equipment such as hard hats properly to ensure they’re used as effectively as possible.
- EN 397 - This is a European standard which specifies the requirements which need to be met for safety hats to be recognised as fit for purpose.
When you buy from Protec Direct, you can rest assured that all safety hats and bump caps are CE approved and meet the standards required.
In industries where employees’ health and safety is at risk and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required for day-to-day working, employers are responsible for:
- Providing PPE equipment free of charge and making sure it is fit for purpose
- Providing training to ensure employees are aware of the need for PPE equipment, as well as how to use it properly
- Maintenance, repairs or replacement of equipment as and when required
- Ensuring PPE products carry the necessary CE mark in accordance with the Personal Protection Equipment Regulations 2002
Browse our range of safety helmets, bump caps and helmet accessories below, and stock up on everything you need to maximise the safety and comfort of your staff.