text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation
  1. Home
  2. Personal Protection Equipment Industry News
  3. Workers hurt in University explosion not wearing PPE

The University of St Andrews and a construction contractor have both been fined for breaching health & safety regulations after two workers were hurt in an explosion.

Contractors DH Morris was fined £10,000 and the University of St Andrews £5,000 after an explosion equivalent to 20,000 single-bar electric heaters occurred during live testing of electrical installations.

Two electricians employed by DH Morris were hurt in the explosion, suffering burns on their faces and upper body, largely because they had not been issued with personal protective equipment (PPE) such as insulating gloves, mask and full body protection.

Cupar Sheriff Court herd that the explosion was caused by the use of inappropriate probes the contractors used, inadvertently bridging to a live terminal and causing a short circuit.

The University of St Andrews admitted breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act following the incident at the Purdie Building on February 2nd.


track© Adfero Ltd

News Archive

March 2024 (0)
February 2024 (0)
January 2024 (0)
December 2023 (0)
November 2023 (0)
October 2023 (0)
September 2023 (0)
August 2023 (0)
July 2023 (0)
June 2023 (0)
May 2023 (0)
April 2023 (0)
Show All