text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation
  1. Home
  2. Personal Protection Equipment Industry News
  3. Worker at landfill company loses legs in accident

A Welsh landfill firm has been fined after a worker lost both his legs following an incident on the company premises.

Mold Crown Court was told that the employee had been working at the Bryn Posteg Landfill site in Llanidloes, Powys. He had been walking through the yard when a shovel loader hit him. The incident, which occurred in November 2015, caused severe injuries to the worker, including being in hospital for six months, and the need to amputate both his legs at mid-thigh level.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) conducted an investigation following the incident, finding that Sundorne Products (Llanidloes) Ltd had not put procedures in place at the site to prevent workers being injured by the high-traffic volumes and number of vehicles at the site. Risks from the traffic had previously been identified by the firm, along with prevention measures. However, the prevention plan was never put in place, leaving employees at risk of injury.

The company pleaded guilty to a breach of the health and safety regulations. A Potter Group member, it was fined £180,000 and told to pay costs of £7,657.10.

 

Mhairi Duffy, an inspector for HSE, stated that although it was important to identify risks and protection measures for workers, it is also crucial to take action and put those plans into action. The use of PPE and other measures may prevent other workers and their families from suffering in this way. The inspector added that other companies with a high volume of traffic could learn from the incident.

News Archive

September 2021 (0)
August 2021 (1)
July 2021 (6)
June 2021 (0)
May 2021 (0)
April 2021 (0)
March 2021 (0)
February 2021 (0)
January 2021 (0)
December 2020 (0)
November 2020 (2)
October 2020 (11)
Show All