text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation
  1. Home
  2. Personal Protection Equipment Industry News
  3. Takeaway owner given four-figure fine after oil incident

A court has fined the owner of a chip shop in South Wales after an employee was accidentally scalded with hot oil.

 

The court found that the Newport-based Sunil Bhalla was in breach of health and safety regulations and he was hit with a £4,000 penalty.

The accident was revealed when an investigation took place by the environmental health team at Caerphilly County Borough Council. They discovered that one of the employees had suffered burns to her leg, back and both feet when the owner had been emptying the hot fryer.

 

Mr. Bhalla appeared at court earlier this month facing three charges, all of which he pleaded guilty to. One of the charges was for a breach of the health and safety regulations and the other two were for failing his general duty to his employee.

A fine of £4,000 was levied, along with a £120 victim surcharge and £1,144 costs. During the inspection by health and safety officers, it was found that Bhalla was in breach of the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992 and Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. Bhalla was found negligent as he had failed to provide personal protective equipment (PPE) and training for health and safety.

Safety footwear was required at the business premises due to a slippery floor, but none had been given to employees. According to Councillor David Poole, the incident enforces the need to abide by regulations for health and safety, as it had been preventable.

News Archive

January 2024 (0)
December 2023 (0)
November 2023 (0)
October 2023 (0)
September 2023 (0)
August 2023 (0)
July 2023 (0)
June 2023 (0)
May 2023 (0)
April 2023 (0)
March 2023 (0)
February 2023 (0)
Show All