Personal Protection Equipment Industry News
PPE clad team called to tackle chemical spillPosted on 02/08/2006
A hazardous incident unit clad in personal protection equipment (PPE) was called to a chemical factory in Thetford yesterday after a tank containing highly corrosive sodium hydroxide overheated.
Production at Albion Chemicals in Thetford was brought to a halt on Monday morning after a passer by noticed a burning smell emanating from one of its chemical tanks.
Five fire engines containing a PPE clad chemical incident team were called to the scene to deal with the situation.
A leak releasing sodium hydroxide fumes was discovered in the factory and dealt with by four firefighters wearing gas-proof PPE.
The East Anglian Daily Times quoted Andy Heginbotham, Thetford Station manager, saying: "There was no actual fire but there had been a chemical reaction, which had given off some fumes and we had to be cautious.
"It was a corrosive chemical leak and it could have been serious. However, I am confident the factory had followed the right safety procedures and there was no risk to public safety."
Albion management has since said they would review safety procedures following the incident.
© Adfero Ltd