Personal Protection Equipment Industry News
Lincolnshire company expresses sorrow following fatal chemical incidentPosted on 25/05/2016
The managers of a chemical plant in Lincolnshire have said they are “extremely sorry” after admitting that the breach of health and safety regulations had led to the death of one of its employees.
Paul Doyley died following an explosion that occurred at Cristal UK's Stallingborough site in 2010. Doyley, who lived in Immingham, was treated for inhalation of toxic fumes and chemical burns at Pinderfield Hospital in Wakefield. However, he passed away in March 2010, almost two weeks after the explosion.
The blast was caused by titanium tetrachloride fumes leaking. A further incident, which occurred in 2011, was also the result of leaking chemical fumes. Doyley's family were present at Grimsby Magistrates' Court to watch proceedings unfold.
The director of Cristal UK, Rob Sarracini, stated that he was sorry for the failings of the company, adding:
“We are constantly enhancing the plant and developing our people to ensure Stallingborough upholds the highest standards in safety.”
He went on to say that the plant was highly complex, and that titanium tetrachloride was manufactured for use in plastics and paint. Cristal admitted a breach of the Control of Major Accident Hazards Regulations 1999, relating to an incident in 2011. The company conceded that there had been a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 relating to the incident that led to the death of Doyley.
Sentencing will take place at Grimsby Crown Court due to the serious nature of the incident.
Risk assessments, the use of PPE and other measures to prevent accidents should be put in place by all employers, especially when hazardous materials are involved.