Hand protection 'may have stopped worker accident'
A worker at a building company who lost part of two fingers when they slipped under the blade of a saw may not have been so badly injured if hand protection has been fitted to the device.
Commenting after the trial which saw his employer Grand Plans fined £7,500, Health and Safety Executive inspector Danielle Coppell said the safety awareness levels of the company were far beneath what was to be expected.
"A basic guard fitted to the bench saw is all it would have taken to prevent these injuries, which have had such a devastating effect on such a young man," Ms Coppell said.
She said that despite a guard being fitted to the device days after the event it was too late for the 22-year-old and some foresight from the company could have meant this preventable accident was avoided.
Michael Holmes, spokesman for the National Home Improvement Show, recently highlighted the dangers faced at home and explained that 200,000 people are hospitalised each year with injuries sustained through home repair.
© Adfero Ltd