Hand injury a reminder of importance of safety gloves
A safety breach at a recycling centre has led to a worker losing a finger.
The 19-year-old employee at the site in Wales had his hand caught in a copper baling machine as he tried to load it from behind, being one of two people trying to operate the device from behind the guard.
However, regulations state only one person should be working in this position, to reduce the risk of injury.
Health and Safety Executive inspector Dean Baker said: "This serious accident could have resulted in much more severe injuries."
Caerphilly Magistrates Court fined his employer £6,000 with £5,000 costs for breaching health and safety law.
While keeping to the regulations is vitally important, the provision of safety gloves can help protect against some hand injuries, particularly cuts, burns and exposure to corrosive chemicals.
Other accidents involving the loss of fingers for which the HSE has carried out recent prosecutions include a lawnmower accident in Bristol last year.
© Adfero Ltd