text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation
  1. Home
  2. Personal Protection Equipment Industry News
  3. Fast food restaurant fined after workers suffer burns

KFC, the fast food giant, has been fined following two incidents involving two employees at branches in Teesside.


The business has pleaded guilty to breaching the health and safety regulations, and has been fined £950,000 and ordered to pay costs of £18,700. In July 2014, a 16-year-old employee suffered burns to his arms and hands when he was asked to take hot gravy from the microwave, without the use of protective gloves. A similar incident occurred in Stockton during December 2015, when a worker suffered scalding when performing the same task, resulting in burns to her body.


Two days after the incident in December, an officer from Stockton Borough Council Environmental Health visited the premises of KFC. During the investigation, the officer found that workers were unable to locate any protective gloves. The safety procedures at the restaurant were not being managed or followed.


According to KFC, £7.5 million is invested in the training required for health and safety each year. The lawyer for the company stated that incidents like this were rare, and that procedures had been implemented but not followed. The chief operating officer for KFC UK and Ireland, Rob Swain, said:


“The safety of our team members is hugely important to us, so we were shocked by what happened. We have robust processes and procedures in place, but on these occasions, they were not followed and we have accepted the prosecution.”


Employers must adhere to the strict health and safety regulations, which includes the provision and use of PPE.

News Archive

June 2024 (0)
May 2024 (0)
April 2024 (0)
March 2024 (0)
February 2024 (0)
January 2024 (0)
December 2023 (0)
November 2023 (0)
October 2023 (0)
September 2023 (0)
August 2023 (0)
July 2023 (0)
Show All