Personal Protection Equipment Industry News
Army deals with dangerous firework cachePosted on 14/08/2017
Boxes of fireworks stored alongside flammable materials had to be dealt with and removed by the army, following calls by officers from Trading Standards.
An inspection was carried out in October last year by the Vale of Glamorgan council, which uncovered fireworks to the value of £3,500 all stored in inadequate containers at the A -Z Dragon Discount store in Penarth near Cardiff. The store is located below a residential area, so the officers had to call for assistance from the army due to the large quantity of fireworks involved.
Cardiff Magistrates' Court heard Shared Regulatory Services officers discovered more than 60kg of explosive fireworks in a storeroom. The premises were damp and in close proximity to flammable materials, so it was ordered that the fireworks should be destroyed.
Magistrates also stated that although no one had been killed, there had been a very high risk that someone could have died as a result of the way that the fireworks were stored. Officer for Shared Regulatory Services for the Vale of Glamorgan Council, Cllr Hunter Jarvie, said:
“Officers monitor premises which have explosives licences and will take the necessary action to ensure that both staff and the public are safe. This was a very dangerous situation with residential accommodation above the building.”
The owners of the store were both fined, with Sangat Singh forced to pay £1,920 and Trishna Singh £1,080. Costs had to be paid to the council, amounting to £2,000.
Health and safety regulations are intended to protect workers and members of the public. Employers may be expected to provide PPE, or provide a safe method of working that removes the risk of injury.