Scott Roadworks & Equipment
Scott Site Essentials
Scott Janitorial & Cleaning Supplies
Scott Hearing Protection
The appropriate selection of ear defenders is critical to protect employees, and meet legal safety standards.
There are various working environments that require ear protection, such as construction, engineering, motoring and more. All of these locations pose a serious threat to workers’ hearing, and an equally serious demand for the right personal protective equipment (PPE).
The range of ear defenders available from Protec Direct
Our wide range of ear defenders include helmet-mounted, headband and neck ear muffs. We also stock widely accredited protective hearing brands, including Peltor ear defenders. All Protec Direct hearing protection earmuffs conform to the appropriate British and European legislation requirements.
Ear defenders and the Law
The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005 require employers to eliminate or reduce the associated risks of exposure to loud noise. Regular exposure to noise can lead to extensive, and often permanent, hearing damage. To manage this, the law states that employers have a legal obligation to reduce the noise exposure, and a responsibility to equip employees with personal hearing protection.
To comply with the legal exposure limits, it’s imperative that the noise workers are exposed to, even with the appropriate safety equipment, is not above 87 decibels for daily or weekly exposure.
When providing employees with ear defenders, make sure they are used properly and that any hearing protection safety zones, wherein hearing protection is compulsory, are clearly identified.
How do I choose the correct ear defenders?
When choosing the right ear defenders, you should consider the following:
- The best hearing protection ear muffs are sufficient enough to eliminate the risk of hearing damage, but not so much so that the worker is isolated/can’t hear communication from others. A 3M Peltor WS Headset, for example, has a built-in-level-dependent function, to allow wearers to hear ambient sound, such as conversation, machine sounds and warning signals.
- Consider the role and working environment such as physical activity, comfort and hygiene to select the best safety ear muffs. For example, the 3M Peltor Optime III ear defenders have broad sealing rings in plastic foam for low-contact pressure.
- Compatibility with other protective equipment, such as hard hats, is another important factor. In industries where protective headgear is necessary, such as construction, a helmet-mounted headset is recommended to maximise on-site safety.
Hazards that require ear defenders
Ear defenders should be worn if the noise or sound level of a workplace exceeds 85 decibels. Hearing protectors will reduce the noise exposure level and the risk of hearing loss.
If hearing protection is required, then a complete hearing conservation program should be implemented.
Browse our selection of ear protectors below, and don’t forget to take advantage of our free next day delivery if you spend over £25. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our team.
Helmet Mounted Ear Defenders
Here at Protec Direct, we offer the best quality helmet mounted ear defenders from leading brands such as Peltor and Centurion in order to keep your workforces protected.
Equipping your team with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is essential. Stocking up on PPE for your workforce doesn’t just uphold legal safety requirements, but is also fundamental to securing the safety and well-being of your team.
There’s a wide range of workplaces that require the provision of PPE, from construction sites to airports. Below, you’ll find the best ear protection we offer and how it can both protect workers from injury, and adhere to legal safety requirements.
The range of helmet mounted ear defenders available from Protec Direct
We’re proud to say that all Protec Direct equipment meets the necessary British and European legislation requirements. This means that we can support you, as an employer, with your moral and legal obligations to take care of your team. We only offer high-quality, durable brands such as Scott Safety, Centurion and Peltor 3M helmet mounted ear muffs; for workers that are required to wear a hard hat with ear protection.
Ear protection and the law
As of 2005, the Control of Noise at Work Regulations require that employers supply their staff with sound cancelling ear protection if they’re in an environment with 85 decibels (Db) of daily or weekly exposure. For those of you who may be unsure about the exact sound level of your workspace, you can use the HSE noise exposure calculator to see if you need to invest in hearing protection.
How do I choose the best ear protection?
Before choosing helmet mounted ear protection, it’s important to ensure you’re getting the right care for your team. There are a series of factors to consider, including:
- The ear protection must be able to reduce the noise to below 85Db.
- If the wearer is exposed to particularly extreme levels of noise in close range, they require stronger protection. The Z3IHME Zone 3 Helmet Mounted Earmuffs from Scott Safety can defend wearers from extreme noise level environments; such as when using pneumatic tools, or concrete drilling.
- If it’s necessary that the worker remains aware of their surroundings, and they work in low to medium noise level environments, then Zone 1 Mounted Earmuffs are recommended. This is suitable for DIY workers, or those working in food processing industries, as these earmuffs provide lightweight defence without over protecting.
- If it’s likely the member of staff will have to wear the ear muffs for an extended period of time, then factoring in pressure and comfort is important. In this case, the 3M Peltor Optime Helmet Attachment offers versatile coverage of noise levels, as well as foam-filled sealing rings for maximum comfort and low pressure.
Browse our full range of helmet mounted ear defenders below, and enjoy free next day delivery when you spend £25. For any further queries, don’t hesitate to contact a member of our team.
Scott Head Protection
Scott Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Scott Face Protection
Scott Respiratory Protective Equipment
Full Face Respirators & Half Mask Respirators
At Protec Direct we stock an amazing selection of high-quality half mask and full face respirators as part of our full collection of respiratory protective equipment. All of the respirators below are crucial in helping to keep you safe when working in areas with contaminated air. If you are an employer, then by law you may have to provide half mask or full face respirators to employees as part of their PPE – read on below to learn more about these regulations.
What are half mask and full face respirators?
Both full face and half mask respirators offer the wearer exceptional levels of protection for workers against air that contains particles and can be used for purifying air which is contaminated. This includes particles such as wood or stone when the materials are being cut, dust, or hazards chemicals and solvents. Both of these types of respirators have their own uses:
- Full face respirators help to provide complete respiratory protection from particles in the air, but also provide protection for the eyes against airborne particles.
- Half mask respirators are less intrusive but still provide complete respiratory protection for the wearer. They can be paired with safety glasses or goggles to offer all the protection of a full face respirator.
Who uses half mask and full face respirator masks?
Half mask respirators and full face respirators are used in a wide range of occupations in which the wearer requires protection from the chemicals or particles in the air around them. These include, but are not limited to industries such as carpentry, metal work, masonry, painting and decorating, chemical and laboratories, janitorial, property renovations, and the arts and creative industries.
Regulations and Standards for half and full mask respirators
All of the respiratory PPE available online at Protec Direct conform to the relevant European Standards. These include:
- EN136 – This European Standard defines a full face respiratory mask as one which covers the chin, eyes, nose and mouth.
- EN140 – This European Standard covers the technical specifications for half and quarter face mask. It defines a half face respiratory mask as one which covers the mouth, nose and chin.
- EN143 – This European Standard covers particle filters used in respiratory masks and ensures they are classified according to their filtering efficiency. It splits filters into three categories – P1, P2, and P3.
There are also a number of regulations which govern respirators and PPE at work and set out an employers’ responsibilities, such as:
- Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations (1992) – It is essential for employers to ensure safe systems of work so the need for PPE is minimised, but where PPE is necessary it should be provided and always be fit for purpose. The PPE should be maintained and checked regularly and employees should be trained on how to correctly use it.
Browse the full collection of full and half face respirator mass below and find the suitable items for you and your employees. Or, browse many other specialist items such as FFP3 disposable respirators and welding respirators in our full RPE collection.
Respirator Helmets & Hoods
If you are looking for respirator helmets and hoods, Protec Direct supply a wide range of high performing and cost-effective products. Available with full hood, headcover, half hood and more. We stock brands such as Scott, 3M and Honeywell. Protec Direct respirator helmets are fully compliant with the appropriate British and European legislation requirements. Ensure your business is meeting legal requirements and buy from Protec Direct today.
The range of respirator helmets from Protec Direct
We stock a number of different respiratory helmets, so you can choose the right products for your purposes.
Our high-performance respirators have been created to protect the wearer from a diverse range of contaminates and substances, whilst undertaking a number of different industrial and chemical tasks. The products in our range fall into the following categories:
- Respiratory hoods – Like our 3M S-133L Hood that offer head and face coverage with face and eye protection. Many of the products in this range have the same impact as safety spectacles.
- Respirator half hoods – These provide a flow of air over the head and down the face, which offers a practical solution and provides comfort to the user.
- Respirator full hood headtops – Products like our Scott FH2 Full Hood Headtop offer complete head coverage, with a clear view panel to offer the user a wide field of vision.
- Darkening filters – Darkening filters like our Scott FH4 Auto Darkening Filter has a darkening lens that helps the user to see comfortably whilst wearing it.
If you aren’t sure which of our respiratory helmets is best for your workplace, please do call our sales helpline on 0870 333 3081 and they will be happy to advise.
Regulations and Standards for using respiratory helmets
Here at Protec Direct, we guarantee that the respirator helmets and hoods we provide meet all of the expected UK and EU standards and requirements, to guarantee the safety of our customers and their people at all times.
Here is just a selection of some of the standards our respirator helmets conform to:
- Personal Protective Equipment Regulations – The Personal Protective Equipment Regulations (2002) and Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations (1992) ensure that employers are responsible for the provision of personal protective equipment (PPE) that will protect against health and safety risks at work.
- EN 166 – A European Standard dictating the level of quality for safety spectacles. Some of our Respirator Helmets conform to this regulation, due to their strength and durability.
- EN 12941 – A European Standard dictating minimum requirements for respiratory devices that work with powered gas or particle filtering devices, and helmets and/or hoods.
You can see what regulations and standards each individual respirator helmet conforms to in the product description, so you have all of the information you need to make a purchase.
You can find the respiratory helmets or hoods to suit your requirements below. We also stock a range of other Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including eye protection and hearing protection. Order now and benefit from our free delivery offer on orders over £25.
Scott Tornado Respirators
Welcome to the extensive range of Scott Tornado T-Power respirator modules, filters and headwear at Protec Direct. Below you will find everything you need when working with the high-performance Tornado respirator, all available at unbeatable prices. Browse all of the Scott Tornado products below or check out our full respirators and RPE range for other respiratory protection.
Using the Scott Tornado Respirator
The Scott Tornado is highly regarded as the benchmark in modular respiratory protection systems. With the powerful Tornado T-Power unit at the heart of its system, this reliable bit of kit helps to provide filtered airflow whenever and wherever it is needed. Versatility is at the heart of the Tornado respirator and the ability to swap between powered air system or a constant flow with a comprehensive range of headtops means it can be used for a wide and diverse range of occupations such as the industrial welding, agricultural and waste disposal industries.
Here at Protec you can find a great selection of Tornado respirator filters, including the Safety Pro 2000 TF220, TF223 and TF230, plus other essential products like connecting hoses and filter adaptors. In terms of headwear, you are really spoilt for choice at Protec with our selection of high-quality and affordable headtops, visors, half hoods, full hoods and helmets – all designed to work seamlessly with the rest of your Scott Tornado kit.
Regulations and Standards for using Scott Tornado respirators
We strive to ensure that all of the products sold online at Protec Direct are of the highest quality and therefore make sure that all of our Scott Tornado respirators, and all other PPE and RPE, adhere to the relevant governing standards. These include:
- EN 12941 – This European Standard concerns all helmet or hood respiratory devices that incorporate powered particle and gas filters, and specifies the minimum requirements these must meet.
- EN 12942 – This European Standard governs respiratory protective devices which incorporate full face, half face or quarter face masks and specifies the correct testing methods and markings.
Finally, your employer may be legally obliged to provide you with Scott Tornado respirators or other respiratory equipment in accordance to the following regulations.
- Personal Protective Equipment Regulations (2002)
- Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations (1992)
Explore the full range of Scott Tornado filters, headtops, masks and accessories below, or why not check out other specialist equipment such as our 3M Jupiter powered respirator collection.