JSP Limited Hearing Protection
Helmet Mounted Ear Defenders
Here at Protec Direct, we offer the best quality helmet mounted ear defenders from leading brands such as Peltor and Centurion in order to keep your workforces protected.
Equipping your team with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is essential. Stocking up on PPE for your workforce doesn’t just uphold legal safety requirements, but is also fundamental to securing the safety and well-being of your team.
There’s a wide range of workplaces that require the provision of PPE, from construction sites to airports. Below, you’ll find the best ear protection we offer and how it can both protect workers from injury, and adhere to legal safety requirements.
The range of helmet mounted ear defenders available from Protec Direct
We’re proud to say that all Protec Direct equipment meets the necessary British and European legislation requirements. This means that we can support you, as an employer, with your moral and legal obligations to take care of your team. We only offer high-quality, durable brands such as Scott Safety, Centurion and Peltor 3M helmet mounted ear muffs; for workers that are required to wear a hard hat with ear protection.
Ear protection and the law
As of 2005, the Control of Noise at Work Regulations require that employers supply their staff with sound cancelling ear protection if they’re in an environment with 85 decibels (Db) of daily or weekly exposure. For those of you who may be unsure about the exact sound level of your workspace, you can use the HSE noise exposure calculator to see if you need to invest in hearing protection.
How do I choose the best ear protection?
Before choosing helmet mounted ear protection, it’s important to ensure you’re getting the right care for your team. There are a series of factors to consider, including:
- The ear protection must be able to reduce the noise to below 85Db.
- If the wearer is exposed to particularly extreme levels of noise in close range, they require stronger protection. The Z3IHME Zone 3 Helmet Mounted Earmuffs from Scott Safety can defend wearers from extreme noise level environments; such as when using pneumatic tools, or concrete drilling.
- If it’s necessary that the worker remains aware of their surroundings, and they work in low to medium noise level environments, then Zone 1 Mounted Earmuffs are recommended. This is suitable for DIY workers, or those working in food processing industries, as these earmuffs provide lightweight defence without over protecting.
- If it’s likely the member of staff will have to wear the ear muffs for an extended period of time, then factoring in pressure and comfort is important. In this case, the 3M Peltor Optime Helmet Attachment offers versatile coverage of noise levels, as well as foam-filled sealing rings for maximum comfort and low pressure.
Browse our full range of helmet mounted ear defenders below, and enjoy free next day delivery when you spend £25. For any further queries, don’t hesitate to contact a member of our team.
JSP Limited Protec
JSP Limited Respiratory Protective Equipment
Protec Direct stock a range of simple disposable dust masks and respirators as part of the respiratory protection range. Whether you are buying a dust mask for painting or dust masks for woodworking, these masks protect the lungs from the bulk of nuisance and offer basic protection. Any order above £25 will qualify for free delivery.
What dust mask do I need?
In terms of dust mask ratings, these disposable options offer basic protection at an affordable price and come in boxes of 50. Cheap dust masks are useful for single-use manual tasks that cause a low-level of an atmospheric nuisance, these will not protect from hazardous atmospheric conditions, however. Make sure you select the best dust respirator for the job.
For low-level respiratory protection from dust or mists typically from hand sanding and cutting - buy FFP1 masks
For moderate-level respiratory protection which includes harmful chemicals and aerosols - buy FFP2 masks
For high-level respiratory protection from hazardous materials including asbestos - buy FFP3 masks
Protec Direct also offers full respirator masks and are the best dust masks for beards, available to select from the respiratory protection range. Check out this fact sheet by Breathe Freely to learn more about the importance of a tight-fitting mask.
These disposable masks are supplied by industry leading brands, Moldex and JSP. Disposable dust masks should only be used for one session of working in dust, grab a new dust mask each time you start working again. You can see our range of basic respirator mask types below.
Full Face Respirators & Half Mask Respirators
At Protec Direct we stock an amazing selection of high-quality half mask and full face respirators as part of our full collection of respiratory protective equipment. All of the respirators below are crucial in helping to keep you safe when working in areas with contaminated air. If you are an employer, then by law you may have to provide half mask or full face respirators to employees as part of their PPE – read on below to learn more about these regulations.
What are half mask and full face respirators?
Both full face and half mask respirators offer the wearer exceptional levels of protection for workers against air that contains particles and can be used for purifying air which is contaminated. This includes particles such as wood or stone when the materials are being cut, dust, or hazards chemicals and solvents. Both of these types of respirators have their own uses:
- Full face respirators help to provide complete respiratory protection from particles in the air, but also provide protection for the eyes against airborne particles.
- Half mask respirators are less intrusive but still provide complete respiratory protection for the wearer. They can be paired with safety glasses or goggles to offer all the protection of a full face respirator.
Who uses half mask and full face respirator masks?
Half mask respirators and full face respirators are used in a wide range of occupations in which the wearer requires protection from the chemicals or particles in the air around them. These include, but are not limited to industries such as carpentry, metal work, masonry, painting and decorating, chemical and laboratories, janitorial, property renovations, and the arts and creative industries.
Regulations and Standards for half and full mask respirators
All of the respiratory PPE available online at Protec Direct conform to the relevant European Standards. These include:
- EN136 – This European Standard defines a full face respiratory mask as one which covers the chin, eyes, nose and mouth.
- EN140 – This European Standard covers the technical specifications for half and quarter face mask. It defines a half face respiratory mask as one which covers the mouth, nose and chin.
- EN143 – This European Standard covers particle filters used in respiratory masks and ensures they are classified according to their filtering efficiency. It splits filters into three categories – P1, P2, and P3.
There are also a number of regulations which govern respirators and PPE at work and set out an employers’ responsibilities, such as:
- Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations (1992) – It is essential for employers to ensure safe systems of work so the need for PPE is minimised, but where PPE is necessary it should be provided and always be fit for purpose. The PPE should be maintained and checked regularly and employees should be trained on how to correctly use it.
Browse the full collection of full and half face respirator mass below and find the suitable items for you and your employees. Or, browse many other specialist items such as FFP3 disposable respirators and welding respirators in our full RPE collection.