Work at Height Regulations 2005
In 2005/06 falls from height accounted for 46 fatal accidents at work and around 3350 minor injuries. They remain the single biggest cause of workplace deaths and one of the main causes of major injury. In April 2005 the Work at Height Regulations 2005 came into effect, applying to all work at height where the risk of a fall is liable to cause personal injury.
Employers and any person that controls the work of others must ensure:
- All work at height is properly planned and organised
- Those involved in work at height are competent
- The risks from work at height are assessed and appropriate work equipment is selected and used
- The risks from fragile surfaces are properly controlled
- Equipment for work at height is properly inspected and maintained