Ear & Hearing Protection
Ear & Hearing Protection
Hearing protection is required when noise exceeds the upper exposure action values, however it should also be available to employees whose noise exposure is between the lower and upper exposure action values. From basic earplugs to clip-on ear muffs, Protec Direct offers you the full range of ear protection, and accessories like earplug dispensers. All hearing protection products are CE Approved to the relevant European Standards.
Ear Protection Requirement By Law;
Ear protection is a requirement by law under the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulation 1992 when working in a hazardous area. Employers have to provide suitable personal protective equipment to the exposed employee, as outlined in the Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005.
Depending on the level of risk, you should:
- take action to reduce the noise exposure; and also
- provide your employees with personal hearing protection
When should personal hearing protection be used?
Hearing protection should be issued to employees;
- Where extra protection is needed above what has been achieved using noise control;
- As a short-term measure while other methods of controlling noise are being developed
There are, as expected, legal limits on the level of noise to which workers may be exposed. In order to comply with exposure limits you must ensure your workers' noise exposure is reduced by an appropriate factor if they are using personal hearing protection, and noise levels are not above;
- 87 decibels for daily or weekly person noise exposure; and
- 140 decibels for peak sound pressure
Complying with the noise exposure levels is only one aspect of your legal requirements under the Noise Regulations (2005).
What Ear Protection should you choose?
Our extensive range of ear protection offers you and your employees protection against damage to hearing, and reduces risk to safety.
- Corded / Banded Ear Plugs - provide hearing protection and all day comfort
- Disposable Ear Plugs - hearing protection that doesn't restrict the user
- Ear Muffs or Defenders - a higher grade of ear protection, perfect for long and intermittent use
- Helmet Mounted Ear Muffs - suitable for users who require the use of a hard hat at the same time as ear protection
- Dispensers & Refills - user friendly, hygiene and economical source of hearing protection
European Standards for Hearing Protection;
EN352-1 Ear Muffs
EN352-2 Ear Plugs
EN352-3 Ear Muffs attached to safety helmets